Labels

Monday, December 19, 2011

Scratching and pawing

I think these terms are reserved for the cat condos and single speed mountain bikes. When the fad started I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. No suspension? No gears? .... Well that doesn't sound fun at all.
Well it is.
The first time I rode one was about a year ago and have a little sweet spot reserved for them since. I primarily use it as a training tool. I can get great Cadence training while working on single track handling and speed that rivals that of a imperial storm trooper in a ti fighter. With a single gear I can work my way through the numbers of teeth like a notch on my rifle and have a collection of gears that would resemble a ninjas arsenal of throwing stars.
It runs silent as the red October and rolls over terrain like grave Digger on cars. No chain noise, no fork nose. Just your own grunts and the scratching and pawing of small block eights up a hill.
But what it actually feels like is childhood. The bike you got under the tree and would pedal as fast as it would go. It is the closest thing to a grown ups bmx bike you can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment