Labels

Monday, January 9, 2012

It fits like OJ's glove!





If there has ever been a topic that has purely been beaten to death and caused more arguments between bike shop employees (other than shop music), it is bike fit. In the last generation this niche has even evolved into a complete boutique business in itself. I can remember when I was on my first road bike in the 80’s, the local cycling club (a handful of old hippies) helped me out to get it in a somewhat comfortable position in order for me to endure the massive initiation rides ahead. Even though I got dropped a lot, I was always able to tell which way they turned by following the smell of pot and patchouli oil. My bike was a very large steel framed Schwinn hand me down with a standover height that was way taller than my inseam. They hacked off enough of the seat post in order to slam the seat clear to the frame and replaced the old school integrated (quill) neck and stem with a stubby and I was off! That was it. I rode that bike that same way for many non ergo miles behind those stinky hippies. Why I didn’t quit then I have no idea.

Over the years and many bikes later I learned the hard away about fit. Knee pains, back pains, wrist pains and something every male cyclist has experienced, the dreaded numb genitals. But today it has been taken to a new level with technology and “industry standards” but this isn’t the best for everyone. There are a myriad of clinics and courses that shop owners and employees will spend weeks in classroom settings in order to better understand fit and the various methods and high dollar 3D system equipment used to imply industry standard angles and postures on you and your bike. Is this a bad thing? No, I have taken these courses myself and consider myself fairly well educated on the principal. There are a lot of items on the bike that may need to be addressed or replaced in order to get the correct fit. Everything from saddles, seat posts, stems, bars even different crank arm lengths…..But!   Here is the caveat

Bike fit is purely specific to an individual because there are no two people the same and the intended purpose for fit is different to every rider and application. The industry geometry will get you in the ball park but it is up to the rider to make the right changes for his or her outcome. Of course the keen eye of an experienced fitter/cyclist and customer feedback is paramount, however some people will have to rely on a shop fit since they don’t have the miles under their belt to know what they need or want. Others who have gone through many miles and have a history of riding will have a much better grasp on the comfort VS. Performance fit battle and will be able to relay specifics during the fit process.

Since getting new bikes for this year’s race I have been able to Geek out and go through this process with a fine tooth comb since I am training at least twice a day and doing some distance at the same time. I can tell when I have some discomfort or tension in certain areas. I can feel when my geometry isn’t right and I can briefly maneuver on the bike to see what specific item needs to be addressed. It isn’t rocket science to know if you’re getting pain that something needs to change. Every ride I go out on I take a couple hex wrenches with me to be able to make small tweaks here and there in order to mitigate geometry problems. I use small pieces of athletic tape to mark the changes and then a sharpie once I am happy. The biggest part of making these small adjustments is doing one specific adjustment at a time, keeping the adjustments small in nature and riding a fair deal in-between. It does me no good to ride a short distance in between adjustments since I would not be able to tell if the adjustment is working or not. In the case of getting fit in a shop you would do this on a trainer and only for a couple of hours at most. They will use levels to find angles, use protractors to get skeletal points and will change out stems, seats, and spacers in order to get you into “guideline angles”. Shops that have true 3D fit technology will use video cameras and protractor software to be able to tune and pinpoint your skeletal angles to a more precise fit. Even so, the rider will still change something on their own within a couple days of riding.

The biggest fit battle these days are with the Time trail/triathlon bikes. Aerodynamics verses comfort in long rides and peak performance output according to geometry of the body. It can get so silly with technology that it boggles the new rider to the point of drooling and eye twitching and astonishes the high dollar bike buyers who just like the amount of detail and whimsical gadgetry they get when buying a “boutique fit” on their 8 thousand dollar bike that will hardly see anything but fair weather club rides on the occasional weekend. Then it goes to the extreme of Pro tour athletes who sit on a jig and are positioned to their most natural forms and have custom frames engineered and tailored just for the specific performance output in a wind tunnel while being filmed at 300 frames per second with cool smoke streams gliding over their back. And I guarantee they will still make a lot of changes and adjustments here and there on the road.

My bottom line to my personal fit is this. If you’re not comfortable you won’t have a performance kind of day. The industry fit angles are just ball park fits. 







No comments:

Post a Comment